Thursday 19 December 2013

Introduction

"When you hear hoof beats think horses, not zebras"

Zebra is the medical slang for arriving at an exotic medical diagnosis when a more commonplace explanation is more likely.

Medical students are taught to look for the more commonplace diagnosis. This means that those patients with a more exotic condition tend to wait longer for a proper diagnosis.

Hypermobility Syndrome type III or Elhers Danlos Syndrome are often ignored or mis-diagnosed. I am currently awaiting a proper diagnosis for my daughter and this blog is to record our journey.

Lucy is my little zebra.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Much and not Enough

 As you may recall I told you that Lucy has a syringomyelia and I've been getting advice from a neurologist who is not Lucy's doctor...