Saturday 1 April 2017

Backtracking!

In my last post I talked about Lucy going on a residential trip with the school and how I'd given a lot of thought and consideration in saying no to her going.

Well, things didn't quite turn out that way.

The week of the trip we were told that she could go in the daytime only and come back each day at the end of school. Of course Lucy really wanted to go even though it still meant she couldn't do most of the activities on offer. We decided to give it a go.

She wasn't alone, the school mini bus took 7 children on the first morning and back again. Lucy loved it, she had a really great day. When I asked her what she'd been up to it was mostly watching the other kids climbing and on the zip wall. She'd also felt a bit sad at coming home which was a big surprise. 
She went again the next day and managed to join in with a go kart race so she was really excited.
The next day she had been told she could stay over for the last night and party and so wanted to. How could I not let her. I was still worried how she would cope but I let her stay and packed her an overnight bag. 

She came back the next day tired, miserable and in pain. It had all been a bit too much for her. They'd gone for  a long walk and her knees had been hurting all night. She had not enjoyed the party at all, it was too loud and everyone was too mad. And she'd not got much sleep because the boys had been too noisy and everyone had stayed up way too late. She was not a happy bunny at all. I just hope it hasn't put her off going away again if the opportunity arrives.

The good news is that she did it! and for that I'm really proud of her.

Today is the first Day of Autism Awareness Month so I will hopefully posting a little more this month.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she had a good time. Anthony went on his first residential trip just before Easter and it was actually him that wasn't sure about going - it was mostly the sleeping over, showering and that kind of think he was unsure about. We worked with him and in the end he went and basically didn't want to come home! It's super when it works! Thanks for sharing this with #spectrumsunday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that she at least tried it and there was some success! Well done you for letting her go too - not easy xx

    ReplyDelete

Too Much and not Enough

 As you may recall I told you that Lucy has a syringomyelia and I've been getting advice from a neurologist who is not Lucy's doctor...