Sunday 18 December 2022

A Night of Sh*T

 

This post may be too much information for some, I just felt I needed to write things down. Maybe in the future I can look back and think about how bad it was and how much better it is. I hope so, I really do. 

It started about 10pm. Lucy told me she had  diarrhoea and it was pretty bad. She cleaned herself up and I gave her one of her incontinence pads and off she went to bed. 

1 am. Lucy knocked on my bedroom door and said she was sorry but she needed help. I met her in the bathroom. First I had to get her drink because she was dehydrated and feeling faint. The mess was bad. Everything she was wearing was soiled, the pad had saved nothing. She began cleaning herself while I sorted out the washing into a bag and got her clean clothes. We went for the higher grade pads and disposable knickers. But it just wouldn't stop coming out. Luckily she'd got to the toilet on time and her bed was clean. I had to give her some loperamide. 

3 am. Lucy knocked again and we went to the bathroom again. The pad and knickers had saved a bit of mess but there was so much diarrhoea and it smelt so bad. Again, it just didn't want to stop. Lucy had pain relief before going back to bed. 

7 am. Definitely the worst. The mess was incredible despite our best efforts at containing it. Being a catheter wearer we decided that it was too bad to leave so after the clean up operation we changed the bag and straps. The bed needed changing too. This was despite a huge pad and disposable incontinence pads. Lucy was incredibly dehydrated and faint, she was good at cleaning herself up though, while I cleaned the rest of the mess, the clothes, bedclothes, bathroom floor, toilet etc. We have special scented bags for the messy items (pads, knickers) and managed to fill two big ones over night. I also filled the washing machine which will be put on a hot wash along with sanitizer liquid. It will probably need two washes. an hour later and she was back in a clean bed with more pain relief and Loperamide and lots of fluids. Fingers crossed the next time isn't so bad. We remembered to get a good sample for the hospital. 

9.30 am. Strike that the 7am was the worst, because this was the most awful mess so far. The bed needed changing again. I had to wash her duvet (it turned out okay) and her mattress was saved by a special cover (Which had to be washed.) Lucy went straight into the shower because a clean up by any other way was impossible. I had to stay with her because of how faint she felt. We kept up with lots of fluids. All cleaned up and super duper sized pads and knickers, protective sheet and off to the settee. She went to the toilet every hour up until 6pm. Each time needed a pad change.

6.30pm Lucy couldn't eat her dinner, so I gave her Fortisip and vitamins. 

11pm Another complete change and ready for bed. 

3 am Another complete change and clean up.

9 am Another complete change and clean up.

The super duper big pads have managed to stop leakage onto the bed clothes though. That's a relief. I got them from a neighbour on a give away app. They would have cost me about £30 otherwise. We have loads left. 

They look like nappies though and there is no way Lucy would feel comfortable leaving the house in one, not that she would go out while so poorly anyway. 

It looks like it's starting to get better though. The last flare up lasted 7 days so I know it won't stop anytime soon, but we might be back to using normal pads by tomorrow and hopefully no more bed changes. 



1 comment:

  1. Aww! Bless her! It is so sad that someone Lucy's age is going through this. I hope she is feeling better soon. Sending love and hugs. x

    ReplyDelete

Too Much and not Enough

 As you may recall I told you that Lucy has a syringomyelia and I've been getting advice from a neurologist who is not Lucy's doctor...